With the summer right on the corner, everybody is looking for a way to stay hydrated and cool off. A lot of people don’t like plain water or they simply don’t have a habit to drink it. Actually a lot of foods have a high water content, like spinach, tomatoes, and celery.
However the veggie with the highest water content is the cucumber, it is 96% water. And we will give you a salad recipe with this nutritious vegetable, in a very creamy dish.
The Health Benefits of Cucumber
Besides keeping us hydrated, the cucumber can provide many other health benefits.
- It supports the digestive system.
- It is high in antioxidants and prevents from diabetes-related complications from oxidative stress.
- Keeps the body hydrated, therefore reduces strains on our cardiovascular system and central nerve system.
- Aids Weight loss, because it is low in calories and because it aids in proper hydration.
- Since it is rich in antioxidants it can prevent from chronic illnesses caused from free radicals, like autoimmune disease, lung disease, heart disease and cancer.
- Very rich in nutrients, including potassium, magnesium, vitamin C and vitamin K.
The best part is that, cucumbers are versatile and very tasty. They can be pickled at home, added into refreshing summer drinks or cocktails, chopped into green salads or even served with hummus. And the recipe that we have today is bringing this food into the light as it deserves to be.
Sour Cream Cucumber Salad
This recipe is perfect for the hot summer months, whether you’ll enjoy it at home, at a family barbecue gathering or on a picnic. Even the pickiest eaters will love this salad, and will start appreciating this vegetable.
Note: You can find vegan and healthier options of the recipe, below the main recipe.
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 4 medium sized cucumbers, peeled
- 1/2 tablespoon of honey
- 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- Pepper to taste
- In a bowl mix the honey, apple cider vinegar, sour cream and the pepper until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Then add the cucumbers and onions in another bowl, and pour the dressing over them.
- Use a plastic cover to wrap the salad and put it in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
If you want a little more herbal flavor, simply add dill into the salad.
Mix 1/4 cup of fresh snipped dill into the dressing, add the cucumbers and onions and then do the same with the salad.
For a vegan version of this salad, you can find a few options below for the sour cream.
Simply make your own sour cream:
- Soak 1 and 1/2 cups of cashews in 3/4 cup of water overnight.
- Then mix 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt, 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice with the cashwes.
- Use this cream in the recipe.
For those who can’t wait through the night, instead of water, soak the cashews in coconut milk:
- Take a can of full-fat coconut milk, take the cream of the top.
- And blend 1 cup of the coconut cream with a tablespoon of lemon juice and a little bit of salt.
- Use this coconut sour cream directly into the recipe.
For those that don’t have time to cook, simply use store-bought vegan sour cream, and instead of honey use a tablespoon of coconut sugar.
Lower Carb and Higher Protein Option
For a lower-calorie variant of this formula, swap the sharp cream for Greek yogurt, which has a higher protein substance and commonly lower in fat and calories. Greek yogourts are accessible unsweetened with a scope of milk fat rates, for the most part from 0-5%, however they can go higher as well (clue: the higher the rate, the more delectable – yet you realized that).
On the off chance that you lean toward a zero-calorie substitute utilize an all-common, sans sugar like Lankanto, which is produced using erythritol and monk fruit.
Note: Diet-accommodating forms of foods may not generally be the correct decision relying upon the individual and their objectives. Each individual’s body is distinctive by they way it reacts to specific food, and each calorie is extraordinary, contingent upon what it originated from. In the end you need to do you.
So you have the opportunity to choose between different types of Sour Cream Cucumber Salad, and choose the one that suits you best, and satisfies your tastes. Which option you choose doesn’t matter, every option is healthy, nutritious and beneficial, and most importantly very tasty!